Monday, September 2, 2013

Weekend Recap



 

Weekend Recap; And Monday Night Preview

 

   At this point I am 5-1 in my picks for the weekend. Vandy let me down in the last 90 seconds of the game, but I am not going to dwell on that game..... Vandy had their time in the spotlight. So let's recap the rest of what happened.
   BAMA won, no surprise there.....except I think their offense looked really sluggish. The Crimson Tide managed to only score two offensive TDs in this game. Sure, the defense played solid and got a score, and yes, the special teams did what every coach would love to see every game. Outside of the 21 points, the rest of BAMA just didn't seem worth the hype. Oh well, we will see what adjustments Saban makes over the next couple weeks. This game was an easy pick but it was a pick I had to throw in.
 
   Georgia at Clemson. Easily the biggest game of the weekend. And it lived up to every bit of the hype. I picked Clemson, and I felt good about it. No, really I did..... Georgia lost a lot of experience on defense and that was a big key in this game. How about Clemson's defense in this game? Sure, they gave up 35 points but this defense made some big plays at key points in the game. Clemson's defensive line pushed Georgia O-Line around for most of the game. Big time win for Clemson, and tough way for Georgia to start the season. Georgia can't dwell in this game..... They have South Carolina coming to town.
 
     LSU took care of TCU. Now I hope most of you have heard all the talk about LSU after this game. It seems as though ESPN is ready to put this team right next to BAMA in the rankings. I'm not claiming to have said this first, but come on..... There was a reason I left LSU out of my Preseason Top 10, and I am sticking to it. This TCU team was a 7-6 team last year and they hung around against LSU for most of this game. Sorry LSU, you have to show me more than a win over a bad team from last year. We might get a good measuring stick in few weeks when they have to take on Georgia. 
 
    Prime Time game tonight: Florida State at Pitt. Not a huge matchup by any means, but it is a conference game and anything is possible. Florida State has a few storylines surrounding them as they head into this game. New QB, and SIX new coaches. Most of the media would try to have you believe that FSU has dropped off some because of the 11 players drafted after last season. I'm not buying that, and most fans around the country shouldn't buy it either. FSU has more juniors and seniors in starting roles this season than they did a year ago. Jimbo Fisher has done a great job at building depth and I think that will show more this year than it has at FSU in a long time. But what about the QB situation? That has to be the only story that is bigger than the new coaches. Jamies Winston gets that start tonight. There will be plenty of people reading too much into his performance tonight, but I will stick to taking it one game at a time.... as should Winston and the rest of the Seminoles.
 
    Football is in full swing and it started with a bang. Happy Labor Day! Reader Questions Segment will be later this week. Send me your questions/comments anything college football and I will tackle them here. Send to Jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com or post to our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day And don't forget to give us a 'LIKE' and maybe even a 'SHARE'. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment