Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 2 Recap




Week 2 is in the Books

 

   There might not have been a bunch of great matchups, but the ones that were......they didn't disappoint. My picks held up pretty well over the weekend. I was 2-1 in the big games ( Notre Dame at Michigan, Florida at Miami, and South Carolina at Georgia). I went 5-2 in the rest of my picks for week 2, which brings my season record to 13-4.

   Lets be real.... some of you want to forget about this weekend as fast as possible, but this segment is here to refresh your memory. Biggest game of the weekend? Wow, I am going to give it to Miami. It's hard to ignore what Georgia accomplished, however, Miami is from the ACC (possibly one of the most disrespected conferences of the five major conferences), and I have to give credit where it is due. Miami has the dark cloud of the NCAA hanging over them and many thought it would continue to be a distraction. But Al Golden has done a great job at keeping his guys focused.
    The ACC has now knocked off TWO SEC heavyweights in back-to-back weeks. Maybe it's time to start giving the ACC a little more respect? Hmmm, I know most of you won't, and I want to make it clear that I am not saying the ACC is suddenly the best conference out there. But the ACC has made a statement in the first couple weeks of the 2013 season and that can't be ignored.



    So what about Michigan hosting Notre Dame? Instant Classic. Very big win for Michigan, and better yet, it was a great way for the rivalry to be put to rest for awhile. Notre Dame has chosen to end its scheduling with Michigan due to Notre Dame's move into the ACC in all sports except football.
      The more I see of Michigan, the more I think the BIG Ten is a little more wide open. Ohio State is in question now that they have an injury to Braxton Miller. At the start of the season everyone was ready to crown Ohio State as the conference champ before they even played a snap of football. I still think Ohio State has the better players but I'm not sure it will be as easy as last season.


     Georgia bounces back in a big way with a HUGE win over South Carolina. Mark Richt did a great job bringing his team along after the tough loss to Clemson. That puts Georgia right where they need to be...which is at the top of the SEC East. Now, it's not smooth sailing the rest of the way, but they started the SEC schedule the right way. At what point did South Carolina appear to have lost control of the game (hint: it wasn't the score)..... Let's start a new game here... Each week we will play a game called "It was over when......." So this week, for South Carolina, It was over when South Carolina coaches started fighting on the sidelines. When your coaches start fighting with each other, that's a really bad sign. I would love to be a fly on the wall when Spurrier sits both of them down in his office. South Carolina has a long road ahead to get back to where they need to be in the SEC race.

 
    Worst game(s) of the week? Wow, I have a 2-way tie between Texas at BYU and Washington State at USC. What a mess it was with these teams. Texas gave up over 500 yards rushing which lead to the dismissal of their defensive coordinator. OUCH. USC choked in their HOME OPENER to WASHINGTON STATE. At least Texas didn't blow it in front of their home crowd.....but then again, 500 yards rushing, really? Sniff, sniff....you smell that? Smells like something burning. Like a coach will soon be fired, but which one? I think it's more likely to happen to Lane Kiffin.

    Okay, so we have a big week ahead here. It will be short week for me; I will be out of town later this week, but I should still be able to keep the posts coming. Reader questions may be off the schedule for this week, but my picks and key games to watch will still be posted on schedule. Oh and there is a little game this week that may draw your attention.... a couple teams in the SEC square off.... Alabama at Texas A&M.... nothing big right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment