Thursday, September 5, 2013

Reader Questions Segment Week 2





Thursday Mailblog

 

 

    This segment is on you. Each week CollegeFootball2Day tackles questions/comments, everything college football, submitted by college football fans like you. Send to Jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com ; post to Facebook page at www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day 
 
   It was an exciting week one of college football. Let's see what you came up with this week:
 
Nick writes: So Winston made a name for himself in his first game. I've read your last post about him, but do you think the hype will get to him? Did you see his post game interview on the field and in the press conference? Do you think it's fair to expect much of the same from him over the next few games?
 
   Thanks Nick. I think Winston is very smart, based off the few interviews I've watched (including the post game interview and press conference). I don't see the hype getting to him like other players have let it get to them. I'm not saying Fisher is sheltering him, but Fisher is doing a great job preparing him for what the media is going to throw at him. His post game comments are the best indicators of how he will deal with the hype. Samantha Ponder set Winston up to give himself the credit several times, but Winston deflected or turned the attention to his team around him. That says a lot. Winston knows what he did during the game. He knows his stats, but he knows that the guys around him had to make those plays for him to have that success. As far as the expectations going forward? Isn't it just a little scary that he says he can get better every day? I mean, he has two more TD passes than incompletions. How much better can he get? I've said it before but I will continue to put this in every segment that Winston is mentioned. Seminole fans should have a cautioned excitement. And as Fisher said numerous times after the game, "It was one game.... He has played one game." Sure, it was better than expected, but keep it in perspective.
 
Bill Ritchie from the Facebook Audience writes: I think Louisville should be in the top 5. I don't know how you could still have Bama at number 1. Their offense struggled against a weak Virginia Tech team. Special teams saved them. In addition. How is it that you can give so much respect to Oregon and Ohio St? You do realize that Louisville's strength of schedule is better than theirs. Louisville ranks 90. Ohio St ranks 105 and Oregon 113. As for Alabama. Nick Saban has a lot of work to do with that offense. The blocking was non-existent and McCarron proved that he can't make the play when he is not in a protective bubble.

 
   Thank you Bill, for your thoughts. Louisville a top 5 team? Louisville is getting the respect right now by being in the top 10. They started in the top 10 because of their win over Florida last year in the Sugar Bowl. Okay, when I first saw your comments about the strength of schedule, I knew something was wrong. Let me start by asking what conference is Louisville tied to right now. I don't need to remind you that they aren't in the ACC yet.....And believe me, being in the ACC will actually help your case in the future. Then I decided to research you strength of schedule comment..... Here is what I found:
 According to Phil Steele's 2013 College Football Strength of Schedule Rankings, Ohio State is 67 and Oregon is 58. Louisville is 98. And that doesn't shock me. You can't tell me that Ohio State plays in a worse conference than Louisville. That's really where most of the strength of schedule flows from anyway. Conference schedule for Louisville is a 'walk in the park'. Hey, and I am listening to the Dan Patrick show and Louisville's schedule comes up.... And the phrase, "that is the worst schedule of any top team 10 team in college football"..... Sorry but I have to agree.
   You're right about Bama, though. They have some work to do, but at the same time, I can't fault them for winning. Virginia Tech's defense is underrated. I can't drop Bama in the ranks for winning the season opener at a neutral site.
   To sum it all up, I don't think Louisville fans should have anything to complain about at this point in the season. You are ranked in the top 10 and have an easy schedule. You do have a legit concern about the possibility of going undefeated and still getting left out of the BCS Title game. Thanks for the comments/questions Bill.
 
   Stan writes: Good reads this week. I hate to ask, though... What about Manziel this week? What do you think of his actions on the field, the trash talk and taunting etc.?
 
    It's simple. If he can't handle players and fans taunting him from Rice, then what will happen in the thick of the SEC schedule? Does he think it will be easier against BAMA? Does he think that fans are just going to leave him alone? Honestly, I don't know that he is doing much thinking at all. Johnny Manziel cares about one person, and that is himself. And that's fine, but I hope his team understands that. He is a ticking time bomb in the locker room. His taunting on the field will either stop or Texas A&M will get used to seeing penalty after penalty. All he did last week was draw attention from the refs. He going to be watched by the refs even closer, now.  Every game he will be under a microscope, and I hope he is ready for it. Thanks Stan, for reading and your questions.
 
You want your question here? Send them in or post to our Facebook page. Check back tomorrow for my key games and picks for Week 2.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment