Friday, September 27, 2013

Week 5 Reader Questions


   This segment is on YOU. If you are a new readers to CollegeFootball2Day, this segment is dedicated to the readers and followers of CollegeFootball2Day. I tackle your questions, comments, predictions, or anything college football here. If you want in, just send to Jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com, or post to our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day) And now you can join the discussion at www.fans25.com

    I stirred up some good questions this week. In a post earlier this week, I mentioned the case at Penn State, and how I thought that the NCAA needs a 'little reform'.  Specifically, I put the attention on the fact that the NCAA had decided to reduce the scholarship penalty against Penn State's football program. If you want a refresher, it's in the Archives (NCAA Reform).
    Here are a couple questions that stemmed from that post.

   Burns Mullins from Virginia writes:  Sorry Jeremy I have to disagree with you on Penn. St. They have changed all their  top positions including president and on  down plus the football players and coaches that are there now weren’t there when all that was going on. The present football players and coaches should not be punished for several yrs. because of something they didn’t have anything at all to do with. I’m not condoning what happened in the least bit but do think it’s time to let the present players and coaches get rewarded for what they are doing. 


    Thanks for reading and the comments. I have to agree, somewhat.... I certainly think it is terrible that whenever a school is caught with something that happened years earlier, the current players and coaches are the ones left with the penalties. This has happened numerous times over the last decade. Schools, players, and coaches have been penalized for violations committed 3, 4, or even 5+years earlier. My complaint with the NCAA over the Penn State issue, is that USC has complied with the NCAA and been very cooperative through that whole process. So... where is there reduction in penalties for good behavior? Unless the NCAA truly feels that they were too harsh on Penn State for something that potentially wasn't even under their jurisdiction. The NCAA took away wins, scholarships, and bowl eligibility from Penn State. I have to ask, though, What NCAA violation did Penn State commit? Yes, crimes were committed and law enforcement officials got involved and the investigation was underway. No ineligible players played football, no academic violations, no recruiting violations, no players were receiving money to play, the list goes on of all the things that they were doing right..... But yet the football program was punished, and punished harshly I might add. At the end of the day, though, I totally agree with your view on the Penn State issue. My problem is that I think other programs who "behave" while on probation should be treated same. I may not like USC, or Lane Kiffin, but the program has done everything right since they were put on probation. Where is their reward for making the right moves?  Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

   Nikki from Kentucky writes: I read your NCAA Reform Post, and I have to agree with most of what you wrote. The NCAA needs to be more Universal in the ways they handle programs that commit violations. One thing that I am shocked you didn't mention through that whole post, though.... Paying college players? Should that be something talked about when NCAA Reform is mentioned? Your thoughts.

    Yeah, you know, I left that out intentionally because it almost needs its own segment, and it's a VERY controversial topic.... but since you asked.... Paying players has to be the ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT. There are alternatives to paying players, and I think it's worth looking into, and implementing at some point. How about a stipend? Not a huge amount, obviously.... But how about $2,000? And let me clarify, EVERY Student Athlete should be eligible for it.... not just players of the major sports. Sure, there are the fans out there that feel very strongly that the 'free' education is enough. Well, I want to ask those fans... Were you a college athlete? Did you try to balance school and sports through college? I have not, but I have spoken with a player at a high profile program who feels like he missed out on having much of a college life because of the demand that is put on these players. He couldn't work a job because he didn't have time. He didn't have any other form of income. There was simply no time for anything like that. The NCAA has pretty much surrounded these college athletes with a false sense of freedom, and the NCAA makes MILLIONS off these student athletes, but yet these students don't ever see a dime from it. I won't listen to the argument that some people will make saying: "these guys go on to make millions after college in the NFL, or NBA....." Look, if you really believe that, I hate to stomp on your beliefs, but the percentage of college players going pro and making thousands, or millions is SO SMALL. And after that small percentage goes pro, what about all the players that don't get that shot at the next level? And I'm totally against the "pay to play" because it would ruin college sports. The smaller programs would go under, and it would be about 10 programs across the country that could afford it.... But the stipend is something every school could handle, especially if the NCAA gave some money back to the programs... I realize that I might have stirred up some more questions and controversy with this one, but you asked for my thoughts.....
Thanks for the question and comments, Nikki.

 Someone sent a question in with no name attached, and I won't post their email..... But thanks for the question anyway.....
Interesting views on the NCAA Reform issue. However my question is not about that. You posted about the coaches you think are on the hot seat. I think Mack Brown is gone after the season. Who do you think replaces him? Same with Lane Kiffin.... Who replaces him?

    WOW... Isn't it a little early to speculate on the replacements for these guys? Oh well,  I can give it a shot. I think the most obvious replacement for Mack Brown might be Will Muschamp. Now, I am not saying he will take the job. Florida is taking pretty good care of him right now, but I could see him leaving Florida. After all, he was the 'coach in waiting' at Texas before he went to Florida. Outside of him, I think Chad Morris (offensive coordinator at Clemson) has to be on the radar at several programs. He won't stay at Clemson forever, and it is very common to see a coordinator get some big job offers after a few years of consistent success. He has to be on the list. As far as USC goes? Hmmmm I can't see anybody from the eastern side of the country wanting to go out there to USC. Chad Morris might get a phone call, but he wouldn't take that job. You know, I think that remains a mystery. I can't think of anybody who would want that job out there... Sure, it's a high profile program, but it has a dark cloud hanging over it right now. What about Mike Leach? He is at Washington State right now, but that can't be where he really wants to stay. OH WAIT... I got it. It would be a perfect fit... Bobby Petrino. (And come to think of it, Petrino makes sense at Texas too)  Okay, you got me.... I really don't have a serious answer for you about replacing Lane Kiffin. 
Thanks for the curve ball question, but I liked it. It's always fun to speculate about coaching changes.

    Thanks for the questions and comments. Enjoy the games this weekend, and CollegeFootball2Day will be back on Monday with the Week 5 Recap. Don't forget to send in your questions each week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment