Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Weekend Recap and Reader Questions

 

Weekend Recap

 
  There were a few good games out there this past weekend. All the big games lived up to the hype except what was supposed to be the biggest game of the start of the season. Alabama destroyed Michigan on all fronts. That was a snoozer by the 2nd qtr. 
 
Check our Facebook page @ www.Facebook.com/collegefootball2day
 
 The long weekend ended with a great game at Virginia Tech. The game was a classic defensive battle. Neither team looked like they could take control of the game. Georgia Tech thought they had control with 44 seconds left leading 17-14, but they managed to let the Hokies get in field goal range and take it to OT where they finished the Yellow Jackets off.
 
 I made it through the opening week with a 4-1 record.
 
 New AP poll was released today.

 
 1. Alabama                                11. Michigan State
 2. USC                                       12. Clemson
 3. LSU                                       13. Wisconsin
 4. Oregon                                   14. Ohio State
 5. Oklahoma                              15. Virginia Tech
 6. Florida State                          16. Nebraska
 7. Georgia                                  17. Texas
 8. Arkansas                                18. Oklahoma State
 9. West Virginia                         19. Michigan
 10. South Carolina                      20. TCU
 
 The TIDE take over the #1 spot. It's always interesting to see a team drop even though they won their game. Sure, BAMA had the tougher opponent and looked the part. But, it's one game and to me that's not enough to change my mind. Who is to say that Michigan wasn't overrated? Remember I didn't even have Michigan in my Preseason Top 10. Thanks to the media, this matchup was not anywhere close to being what it was cracked up to be.  With that loss, Michigan dropped all the way to 19 in the AP Poll. And I don't see them ever getting back into the top 10 the rest of the season. 
 

Reader Questions

  There are some more great games coming in week 2. But before I get to my breakdowns and picks for the weekend, let me get to some reader questions.....One question was received this morning and has major relevance this week, so I will get to it in this segment as well.
 
 Chris writes: "I saw last night, as I was watching the game, that FSU lost a key player. I think it was a Defensive End, Jenkins is his name but I only caught a glimpse of it. I am not an FSU fan but I do follow football pretty close and I know FSU has a ton of hype about their defense. Does this hurt their defense as much as some say it will?"
 
 Thanks Chris for the question, I saw the same report and I couldn't find much on it until very late last night. And believe me, I am pretty upset with the injury to Brandon Jenkins.
 
Okay, yes it will affect them, but I am not sold that this becomes a weak spot in their defense. If there was a place on the Seminoles team that had the depth to handle a loss, it was the defensive line.
  Jimbo Fisher had in mind to redshirt a few defensive linemen before the results of Jenkins' MRI. I promise you this, if the players they have in place to take over for Jenkins are as good as they are being advertised, this defense will be just as dangerous up front as they were before.
 
Next question comes from Ashley. " Tennessee came out and got it done, even without DaRick Rodgers. I read in your earlier posts that you didn't think my Vols would win 6 games this season, How you feeling about saying that after how good they looked against one of the ACC's best?"
 
Wow, thanks Ashley. Calling me out on talking bad about her Vols.
 
 First off, let me get something straight with the rest of the country that the media has created.....NC State is not one of the ACC's best. I don't even know why the media would.........no wait, yes I know why they would say NC State is one of the best in the ACC. They have to create a storyline for the game. It's called hype. The media hyped this matchup way too much. Just like they did with Michigan vs Alabama. You want one of the ACC's best to play in your opener, insert: Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, North Carolina. Each of those teams are on a different level from NC State.
 
 And how do I feel about my prediction on the Vols? Well, They look better than I expected, but at the same time NC State looked worse than I expected. I will stick by it. 6 wins and a 7th win in a bowl game. Ashley, you have to understand, don't get too far ahead of yourself. One injury and this team crashes and burns. UT still doesn't have the depth to deal with injuries and they haven't even started their SEC schedule. Thanks Ashley and throw that question at me again in about 4 or 5 weeks and we will see where they stand.
 
 Thanks for the questions. I will get to more later this week. Check our facebook page and take part in our poll questions. Lots more to get to over the next couple of days. Check bac for more breakdowns and picks for upcoming matchup this week. www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day 

  Reader Questions send to jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment