Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Reader Questions Week 3

 

Reader Questions Week 3

 
 Each week I want to answer your questions and/or share your thoughts on either the previous weekend in college football or the week ahead. Last week was a pretty good start, and this week I have recieved some good questions as well. Send your questions or comments to jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com




Don't forget to chime in on our poll question of the week. Will UL-Monroe pull off back-to-back SEC wins?  They play Auburn this week.
 
 
Carl from Florida asks: First off, Jeremy, thanks for picking A&M over my Gators this past week. Now that we passed that road test, do you believe my Gators are back? Everyone doubted us against A&M and look what we did. Thanks and GO GATORS!!!
 
 I don't think as many people doubted Florida as you think. I admit, I didn't think the Gators could head into College Station and win, but I think most of the College Football world knew that Florida could do it. People had this game circled for an upset alert and rightfully so. Just think about it, if A&M scored ONE Touchdown in the second half, Florida loses this ball game.
 But now the question is, Are the Gators back? I ask, back to what? Making a run for the National Championship? No. Back to winning SEC titles? No. Back to being able to compete with LSU and BAMA? No. As an FSU fan I have heard the "are they back" question for years now. My answer is simply this. They aren't back until they play in a BCS Bowl game and are in the hunt for consectutive seasons for National Championship. That's my definition of 'back'.
 
 For Florida to be considered back, They have to win the east division and must be compete with whoever they play in the SEC title game. Not only that, they have to do it all over again next season. I don't count 'one hit wonders'. So Carl, I think the Gators at this point are on the right track but it is still very early. We don't know how good Texas A&M really is, and most teams make their biggest improvements from week 1 to week 2. Remember for A&M, this was their week 1. Florida will get another test against another un-proven team, the UT Vols.
 
 
 A comment from Steve: I am a Virginia Tech fan. I respect Florida State for what they have done. I think my Hokies will end up playing your Noles two times this season, I mean it appears that way since we will win the coastal division and if your guys can take down Clemson. I think we will split our meetings with you guys. Your thoughts.
 
Of course you respect the Noles for what they have done, they are the team that ruined the Hokies' National Title hopes.
 I am not sold that the Noles and the Hokies will play twice, yet. Virginia Tech may have gotten past Georgia Tech, but a lot can happen in ACC play. And that's true for both sides. Even if FSU beats Clemson, they still have to get through the rest of the schedule without any speed bumps. Trust me, we have seen our fair share of games that we should've won and didn't because we lost focus or looked over a team. Again, it is very early. FSU hasn't even played their first ACC opponent, let alone an FBS opponent yet. All the 'experts' seem to think these two teams will play twice, but I am not buying into that until I see how both teams look in week 6 or week 7.
 
 
Last question comes from Jake in Tennessee: We are getting into that part of the season where bragging rights will soon be decided and hopes and dreams will be crushed. Will my Vols have something to brag about after this weekend? And will our dreams and hopes still be alive after this weekend as well?
 
 
 I could tell in just the first sentence where you were going with that. Tennessee will have the homefield advantage, and it will be louder than College Station for sure. I can't say, just yet, who I think will win. However, Florida seems to be more battle tested. Playing a tough game on the road against Texas A&M has to count for something. Tennessee has played a mediocre ACC team, and Georgia State.
 Your second question is interesting because if UT loses to Florida, what hopes and dreams do the Vols have left? You won't win the East Division with a loss to UF. I guess they could salvage the season with a few other wins and maybe an upset over Georgia or Alabama. The fact is, Tennessee had better win this game against Florida. It may be Dooley's last shot at the Gators if the season goes south.

 Thanks for the questions and comments. Keep them coming. Later this week I will take a look at the key matchups in Week 3 and my picks for the weekend. Don't forget to check us out on Facebook.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment