Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reader Questions Week 12




The Road to the BCS

     Yesterday I told you I wanted to hear your thoughts about the BCS, and some of you came through for me. This segment is on you, so lets get it going.
 

 
     Question from Facebook, Stephen asks: Do you really think that Alabama isn't the best team in the nation? They could beat anybody in the BCS Title Game.
 
     I'm not sure, Stephen.....Ask Texas A&M what they think. Bama is a very solid team with very few flaws. I think there are a few teams that could play in the BCS Title game. That's why we are going to a playoff system in a couple seasons. I think Alabama got what was coming to them. They're good, but with the schedule they had? They should be undefeated. LSU was their biggest test of the season, and one could argue that it was their only test of the season (before the Texas A&M game, obviously).  In fact, everybody thought that Alabama would roll the former Big 12 team. To answer your question, I think Bama has flaws, not many, but just enough to keep them from being the best. Thanks for the question.
 
    Lamar from Florida writes: Oregon, Kansas State, Notre Dame.. Which of them has the best offense/defense?
 
    Wow, good question. Obviously Oregon has the best offense, but they don't have the best defense (that's where their offense picks up the slack). Notre Dame's defense passes the 'eye test'. So where does K State fit in? I'd have to say that Kansas State has the best combo. They have a good defense, nothing spectacular, but they have held their own against some good offenses. The Wild Cats have a pretty good offense too. It's not what Oregon has, but again, it's consistent. They can score a lot of points and give teams a lot of different looks with Klein's dual threat ability. I want to make sure I am not misunderstood. OREGON has the best offense of the three. Notre Dame has the best defense of the three. Kansas State has the best combination of both.
 
    Timothy writes: I've read most of your posts about the BCS, maybe I missed a couple.....but I wanted to know what your thoughts are on the BCS. Do you think it's a good system or are you glad to see it coming to an end?
 
     You know, I think the system would be okay if it didn't show favortism from what teams have done in the past. Example being the SEC. I won't say that the SEC is not the best conference (read that sentence again) It is a great conference, but this year I think it is a little overrated. And, I don't want to chase that rabbit in this discussion. The system was better than it was before the BCS came about. However, as times change, and powers change......the system needed to be changed as well. This playoff system will only cause more change in later seasons down the road. Who thinks it will stay at a FOUR team playoff for as many years as the BCS has been in place? I think we will see an EIGHT team playoff within a decade. And rightfully so. The BCS is just outdated. Not to bring my team into the discussion, but FSU is ranked behind Clemson in the computer polls. How does that make any sense at all? FSU beat Clemson. Sure the Noles lost to NC State, but that doesn't change the head-to-head result. What will be interesting is if Clemson beats NC State this weekend, will Clemson jump over FSU in the BCS?
 

    When people talk about the flaws in the BCS, they always focus on the top three or four teams. Sure, they are the only teams that matter when it comes to deciding the National Champion...... but people forget about how skewed the rest of the rankings look. There is so much debate of who should be #1 right now, what about who should be ranked 5, 6, or 10? So, to answer your question, I don't like the BCS, but I'm sure the playoff system won't solve everything, either.
 
    Thanks for all the questions. If you have a question, please send it in to jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com or post to our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day. Check out our poll question on our Facebook page as well. Which team has been the biggest surprise (good or bad) this season? My key games to watch and picks will be posted later this week.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment