Friday, October 25, 2013

Week 9 Key Games and Picks




Week 9 Key Games and Picks

 
   It's week 9 and there are a few intriguing games out there to keep an eye on. Also in this segment I will tackle your questions and comments. So let's get things kicked off here.....


 
   Tennessee at Alabama.
Well, UT has built up some momentum heading into this game. One week removed from upsetting South Carolina, the Vols have their eyes set on ruining Bama's season..... Yeah, I just don't see this happening this week. Maybe I could put the TIDE on upset alert if it was in Knoxville..... Oh but I can't forget a couple seasons ago when Bama needed to block a field goal to beat UT, and that was in Tuscaloosa...... If I have learned anything from Alabama in the past, though, it's hard to pick against Nick Saban.
My Pick: Alabama, ROLL TIDE!
 
   UCLA at Oregon.
So this game might be the biggest matchup of the week, but that doesn't mean it will live up to that..... I have never really bought into UCLA as being a top 10 team, and I think this game may show that. If the Bruins want to prove me wrong, they need to score lots of points and at least make this a game. They don't need to win to prove to me that they belong.... A close loss will go a long ways. Oregon will take care of business as usual.
My Pick: Oregon.
 
 
   NC State at Florida State.
It's the matchup that ruined FSU's season a year ago.... When the Noles went on the road and played a terrible game..... This year? Well, it's in Tallahassee. Bobby Bowden will be making his first return to Doak Campbell Stadium since his forced retirement. Not only will he be there, but he will be planting the spear at midfield. Some 350+ former players are supposed to be there as well. This weekend is all about honoring the great Bobby Bowden..... And if you think for one second that FSU is going to lay an egg in this game......oh boy, are you crazy..... The crowd will be as loud as they have ever been in Tallahassee. It is sure to be a great environment for some football this weekend. After all, It is Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium.
My Pick: Florida State.... BY A LOT!
 
    Stanford at Oregon State.
UPSET ALERT! If Stanford doesn't pay attention in this game, they could find themselves with their backs against the wall. Oregon State has been playing pretty well and have climbed their way into the top 25. The Beavers are not to be taken lightly. In end though, I think the Cardinal comes out on top. They have refocused and have gotten back to playing the way they have been expecting to play. No doubt, however, if Stanford makes the mistake of overlooking the Beavers, it could turn into an ugly game.
My Pick: Stanford
 
    South Carolina at Missouri.
Wow, Missouri is still undefeated.... even without their starting QB James Franklin. What a season for this team from the Big12. In fact I think it is worth noting that both teams have come from what is perceived to be a weaker conference than the SEC, and they have dominated in their first two seasons. How do you explain that? Okay, I will leave that alone.... South Carolina is in all kinds of trouble. Injury to Connor Shaw, and wondering if Clowney will give it his best just leaves me thinking that Spurrier has lost this team. And on the other side? Well, Missouri couldn't be more of a team than they are right now. They trust each other. They have confidence in their back-up QB. This team is playing together more than any other team in the SEC right now... and that is dangerous.
My Pick: Missouri
 
   Texas at TCU
Have the Longhorns turned it around? Will Mack Brown be around for another season? I think those are fair questions to ask every week from here on.....  TCU will give Texas all they can handle. The HornFrogs live for games like this. So much so, that I feel pretty good about TCU winning at home on Saturday.
My Pick: TCU
 
    Vanderbilt at Texas A&M
Vandy should be able to score some points in this game, and with Johnny Manziel being less than 100% (possibly not even playing).... Vandy really has a shot in this game. It could turn into a shootout with these two defenses... only time will tell. I really would like to see Vandy pull off the upset, but I feel like A&M has the consistency on offense, even without Manziel.
My Pick: Texas A&M
 

 Reader Questions

 
 
   Each week I tackle your questions, comments, predictions, etc.... If you have a question or comment that you want to see here, send it in... Either jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com or post to our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day.
 
  GatorBait in Tennessee writes: I have read all your posts this week, and I must say you make a pretty good argument.... I know a lot of SEC Homers wouldn't agree with you or even give you the time of day to try to make this argument. This year I think you could make a stronger case that the SEC is fallen a bit... What do you think? I'm a proud Gator, but I can recognize when teams are really bad.
 
 Thanks GatorBait. Yes I think the SEC is having a down year as a whole, but of course Bama is still in prime position to continue to carry the SEC Banner. I think it's pretty obvious when there are only two teams from the SEC in the top 10, and one of them is Missouri, of all teams. My question to you and the rest of the SEC fans, which team has been the biggest surprise this season? And I don't mean who is having a great season that we didn't expect, but I know Georgia fans are in state of shock, South Carolina has to be in a weird state of mind, and Florida? You are a Gator fan, did you see Florida having this type of season (minus the injuries) after the way they played last season... If you ask me, it still looks like they are hungover from their Sugar Bowl performance.
 
    Steven in Georgia writes: Huge Nole Fan here, and I know you are too. What do you think about Bobby Bowden being back this week? Will it actually be a distraction for this team or will it help them focus? GO NOLES!
 
   Go Noles! Steven. I thought the same thing when I saw it on the schedule at the start of the season.... But you know as well as I do that Jameis Winston loves the big stage. He loves having the chance to play at his best in front of a huge crowd.... What is better than playing in front of 83,000+  that includes 350+ former players and the great Bobby Bowden? Yeah, I think the stage is as big as playing at Clemson at night. Winston will play well and Noles' defense will be lights out. There is something about playing in front of former players and showing that they are bringing the 'swag' back to FSU. It will be a very fun game to watch, no doubt.
 
    No name was tagged with this next email, but thanks for the question and comments, anyway.
 
Anonymous writes: Florida State jumps Oregon in the BCS, that is a joke. FSwho plays in the ACC, and Oregon plays in a tougher PAC12.... You only side with the ranking because you are a FSwho fan. How can you ignore Oregon's schedule? I'm not even a Oregon fan and I am upset. Glad the BCS is history after this season....
 
    Hmmmm,  I wonder if you hate FSU... It sure comes across that way.... And really I think you sound like a Gator fan... I have only seen Gator fans use the 'FSwho' tag (maybe a fan of the SugarCanes in Miami?) Oh well, I think it's pretty simple here. The BCS ranks what you have done up to this point. And the fact remains that FSU has played 2 ranked teams, and 1 of them was ranked 3rd. Oregon has played ONE ranked team that was ranked 16th and now is unranked. So up to this point of the season, I have to agree that FSU deserves to be where they are in the BCS. If Oregon wins out, yes, they will pass FSU. Thanks for the comments anyway.
 
Thanks for the questions this week. Keep them coming and I will tackle more next week. Enjoy the weekend!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment