Friday, October 18, 2013

Week 8 Key Games and Picks




Week 8 Key Games and Picks

 
 
    I have a lot going on over the next 24 to 36 hours, so this week's Key Games and Picks I will be using the 'two minute offense'.
 
    UCLA at Stanford.
Stanford was caught off guard last week, and I think they will be refocused for UCLA. The Bruins, however, are looking to stay undefeated. My Pick: Stanford drops two in a row; I am taking UCLA.
 
    LSU at Ole Miss.
Everyone seems to want to see how teams handle Ole Miss after Alabama shut them out. Well, I expect it to be a tough early going for LSU, but in the end LSU will win convincingly. My Pick: Tigers win big.
 
   Georgia at Vanderbilt.
The Bulldogs are pretty banged up right now. Simply put, they are vulnerable. Vanderbilt has their own struggles that have been holding them back this season. And I feel like Georgia will control this game despite the injuries. My Pick: Georgia.
 
   South Carolina at Tennessee.
Will the Vols give the Gamecocks as much trouble as they gave Georgia? Maybe, but I think Spurrier has his team playing better than Georgia right now. I might still have South Carolina on upset alert here, though. My Pick: South Carolina
 
  Florida at Missouri.
Can Missouri stay unbeaten? Will Florida's offense wake up? This game will be ugly right down to the very end. Missouri is dealing with a couple key injuries, the main one being QB James Franklin. Coach Pinkel confirmed earlier this week that Franklin will be out at least 3 weeks. That is a huge blow to Missouri. And with that, I give Florida the edge.
My Pick: Florida.
 
    Washington at Arizona State.
Washington has had a rough couple weeks recently, but I think they will get back to business this week. My Pick: Washington.
 
   Okay, I know what you are waiting for..... And yes, I am getting to it. You and I both know there is only one game that matters this week. It happens to be a top 5 matchup out of the ACC. Yes, that's right, there are two teams from the ACC ranked in the top 5 for at least another 40 hours or so.
 

    Florida State at Clemson

 
    The undefeated Seminoles travel to Death Valley on Saturday to take on the undefeated Tigers. The last 4 years this game has decided who plays for the ACC Title (from the Atlantic Division). Home field advantage has been key for the last decade. A lot is riding on this game...... BCS Title hopes, Heisman hopefuls, and of course bragging rights.
   
     If the Noles are going to win this game, their defense has to show up. Their defense has struggled earlier this season, but seemed to settle in just before their BYE week. I think this will be one of the many storylines surrounding this game. For six or seven weeks now, all the Noles have heard has been criticism about who they have played. "The Noles haven't been tested." Well, I am here to say they HAVE been tested every week. They have a redshirt freshman QB that has come in and started every game and looked like a 3 year starter. It doesn't matter who he has played thus far..... Nobody could expect Winston to come out and play they way he has through the first half of the season. And what about the rest of the team? The defense has had to adapt to a new defensive coordinator and new scheme. The whole team has had to adapt to SIX new coaches on staff. But most fans around the country forget about all that stuff. Fans talk about this team as if they are in the same position they were last season..... Simply put, the Seminoles are a totally different team from last season. The most obvious change is that I see more trust between the head coach and his QB than I have seen even when Christian Ponder was there. Between that and a different look on defense, this team has transitioned very well (better than anyone might have expected). We will find out just how far they have come in the process this Saturday night.
 
   So you want 'My Pick'? If only you all could see the anxiety I go through just thinking about games like this. My family and close friends know it all too well. And if you really think I am going to pick against MY NOLES, you are crazy. MY PICK: Florida State gets it done. The run game will be key, and the defense will show up.
 
   Whew! I am ready for the game.... Oh wait, the game isn't until Saturday night..... Oh well, I have some things to do until then. Earlier this week I teased and said I may have a surprise for you today..... The last 3 to 4 months I have been working to have my MAN CAVE finished. It's not fully up and running yet, but by tomorrow night, it will be game ready. I will post some pictures on our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day after I get it 'Game Ready'.

 

 
 
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment