Thursday, October 10, 2013

Week 7 Key Games and Picks



 

Week 7 Key Games and Picks


    It's hard to believe that the 2013 College Football season is half over. I know, I know..... Some of you could have done without the reminder. But don't worry, there is some good news here too. The later we get into the season, the better the matchups get. That being said, let's see what matchups make the cut for this week's Key Games and Picks. My Current Record 29-8 on the season.
   Rutgers at Louisville.
This will be the Cardinals first real test of the season, and that feels weird just saying that because even after this weekend, the Cardinals will still not have played a ranked team. Louisville will be the heavy favorite, just like they have been all season. Unless Rutgers has something we haven't seen before, I am pretty confident Louisville wins this game. And really, they need to win convincingly. My Pick: Louisville

    Arizona at USC
This is a game I would love to stay away from in my picks, but I just can't, seeing as how USC no longer has Lane Kiffin. In fact, in case you missed the big announcement, Lane Kiffin will appear on College Game Day on ESPN Saturday morning. Hmmm, if it was at Arizona, I could maybe swing for Arizona...... But I will stick with USC at home. My Pick: USC
    Oregon at Washington
The Huskies proved they are a legit threat last week. However, Oregon is a different animal. Washington may keep it close for a half, but eventually Oregon will take control and win by a few scores. My Pick: Oregon
    Florida at LSU
This is a pretty interesting matchup. Florida looks like they have evolved since their loss to Miami..... Driskel is out with a season ending injury, and from what I've heard, Florida fans are pretty excited that Driskel isn't the starter. The Gators seem to have found an offensive spark with Murphy at QB. Playing at LSU won't be easy, though. Murphy will truly be tested on the road this weekend... But let's put the spotlight on the Gators' defense. This defense has been very solid, and this will be a true test for them. I like LSU, but when a team 'Ds' them up, they struggle and make mental mistakes. It's almost like Aaron Murray with Georgia, but this season he has proved he can play in the big games. I want to see LSU play in the big games and play well. The Tigers know that a loss would all but end their SEC title hopes. This game doesn't get enough attention, in my opinion. This is a huge SEC matchup. It could effectively ruin the season for one team, or it could turn a season around for the other. If this was in the Swamp, I would go Gators all the way..... Ahhh, who am I kidding, I think Florida's defense will be the difference in the game. My Pick: GATORS
     Missouri at Georgia
Okay, so Georgia survived last week, but came away with fewer weapons on offense. I still think Georgia has what it takes to win the SEC East, but they will depend on a couple different players going forward. If I was a Georgia fan, I would be pretty nervous about this game. And I know you don't want to see that after what almost happened last week in Knoxville. Wow, I have to admit I really like the upset alert here.... But it's in Athens, and Georgia plays really well at home. And there is no doubt that Mark Richt is using last week's game as a 'wake up call' for his team. I just can't have TWO upset picks in a row. It will be a good game though.
My Pick: Georgia
    Texas A&M at Ole Miss
Well, we saw that Alabama could handle Ole Miss with little to no problem, and I wouldn't expect anything less from the Aggies here. It might even get worse than what Bama did to Ole Miss. No brainer here. My Pick: Texas A&M
    California at UCLA
The Bruins get a chance to continue their rise in the ranks. We saw what Ohio State did to Cal, now we want to see how UCLA handles them. The Bruins have looked strong, but they are just starting to get into the real meat of their schedule. I really like the Bruins as a 'Dark Horse' in the PAC-12. After this week, we will get a real good idea of where the Bruins matchup with the elite teams in the PAC-12. They play Stanford and Oregon in back-to-back weeks. Some might worry that UCLA will be looking ahead, but I think they feel like they have to prove themselves every week.
My Pick: UCLA
    Oklahoma at Texas.
Ah yes, the much anticipated rivalry game. The storyline on this game is all about Mack Brown. Will he be fired after the game if Texas falls to the Sooners again? How much longer does Mack Brown have left at Texas? Questions that fans desperately want answers to... An upset here almost fully saves his job, however. Do Texas fans want Mack Brown to stick around? After all, this is the guy who coached the Longhorns to a BCS Title. I think there are a few fans out there ready for him to leave. Sadly for those fans, I think the only way he gets fired after this game is if it turns into a blowout, like it has been the last 4 years. Even then, I find it hard to believe that Texas would fire their coach in the middle of the season. And you know what? I respect Texas if that is the approach they take. Nobody really thinks about what it does to a program to fire a coach in the middle of a season. The student athletes, the assistant coaches...... It's a tough process to go through. Okay, enough with the soft approach here..... Oklahoma is going to run the ball down the Longhorns' throat. My Pick: Oklahoma
    Northwestern at Wisconsin.
Wow, what a game last week for Northwestern. They had their shot at stealing the fame and spotlight from Ohio State, and they fell just a little short. Now, the question is, how do they respond? Wisconsin won't roll over them, so they better come out angry. I am going to stick by Northwestern, even after the tough loss.
My Pick: Northwestern
    Michigan at Penn State
It has been a very tough road for Penn State this season. But I think that is what makes them dangerous. Michigan fans have to wonder, especially after what they have shown the last 3 to 4 weeks. I wouldn't want Penn State on my schedule this year, simply because they can make their season a so called 'success' with ONE signature win. I don't know if Penn State get's that ONE this week, but they will be fighting pretty hard to get it. My Pick: Michigan
    South Carolina at Arkansas
So, is Clowney going to play? Only one person knows the answer to that, and that is Clowney. Spurrier started a brush fire by using the words "if he wants to play, then he will play". Regardless, I think South Carolina is in for a tough game. Arkansas is right on the edge of being a fairly good team, and they too, are looking for that signature to win. I tell you what, this might be an upset special weekend. I am taking the Razorbacks. My Pick: Arkansas
    Virginia at Maryland
How does Maryland respond after they were beat into the ground by Florida State last week? Virginia has been up and down, but mostly down. I see Maryland getting back on track this weekend and taking down Virginia. The Cavaliers just give up too many points in games they should be able to control. Last week comes to mind, 48 points given up to Ball State. My Pick: Maryland
   Boston College at Clemson.
Don't read too much into this game if Clemson smokes Boston College. And by that, I mean it wouldn't be a good comparison to compare this game with FSU vs Boston College from earlier this season. A: It was AT Boston College. B: FSU clearly was playing a little more vanilla on defense. Say what you want, but it's true. At the same time though, Clemson has to be careful to not overlook the Eagles this weekend. The Tigers have their sights set on next week's FSU matchup, but they have to get through Boston College first. Clemson should win easily here..... But remember, don't read too much into this game. My Pick: Clemson
   It was a big list of games to hit this week, which means there will be lots of football to watch this weekend. Enjoy the games starting tonight with Louisville vs Rutgers.
   Don't forget to check us out on Facebook and give us a 'LIKE' and a 'SHARE' at www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day
    Check out our friends at www.fans25.com and join the discussion.
    You can join CollegeFootball2Day's Reader Question Segment by emailing your questions or comments to Jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com or post them to our Facebook page.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment