Monday, January 6, 2014

BCS CHAMPIONSHIP




BCS CHAMPIONSHIP

FLORIDA STATE VS AUBURN


 
 
  It has finally arrived..... January 6, 2014..... The final BCS Championship game. This bowl season has been one of the most entertaining bowl seasons in the last decade. Upsets, close games, you name it. And it has all led up to this.........
 
   Keys for Florida State
 
   Everybody keeps saying the Noles need to stop the run..... I am here to say they don't need to stop the run.... They need to CONTAIN THE RUN. Nobody has stopped Auburn's run all season, even in their loss to LSU, Auburn still rushed for more than 200 yards. So my key is CONTAIN the run, and make Auburn get into passing situations. The defensive line will be tested with plenty of misdirection and counters. This isn't rocket science, though. If this offense was truly unstoppable (and I mean the scheme) then every team in the country would be running this offense..... It's assignment football. It's like Georgia Tech with the flexbone and wishbone sets.... A team that has only five days to prepare for that will struggle. Sure, they might get lucky a few times, but if you get your assignments right and you rep it..... Yeah, it's a different story. If FSU can play assignment football, I believe they have the ability to slow down Auburn enough.
 
   As far as offense goes? Don't get fancy. The Noles need to do what they have done all year. Run their offense and take what the defense gives them. Auburn has struggled all year on defense.... Hit the big plays when they are there, and take the underneath when the big plays aren't.
 
   Get Winston in a rhythm early. Let him make the mid-range throws. Hit some passes underneath the coverage.... Then turn him loose. Let Winston be the leader he has been all season long.
 
   Florida State's run game might be the underrated part of their game. Freeman, Wilder, and Williams? Yep, they all have their unique skill sets. The power and strength of Wilder to get tough yards. The shifty, but powerful, running style of Freeman. And then to top it off, Karlos Williams brings the best combination of speed and power. These three can create problems for Auburn if they are on their game tonight.
 
   The offensive line for Florida State will face a tough test in this game. They have been solid all season long. Consistency has been their strength. Fisher thinks this is the best offensive line he has had at FSU since his arrival. I don't know if it's the best that I've seen, in my opinion anyway. They have been consistent, yes..... But the best in that stretch? Either way, they have to set the tone early. If they can continue to be consistent with the way they have played all season, then they should be able to control the trenches. 
 
   Keys for Auburn
 
   The biggest and single most important key for Auburn has to be to establish their run game. No team has relied more on a certain aspect of their game than Auburn. Control the line of scrimmage and run the ball. Simple as that. 
 
   The defense has been labeled mediocre..... I think they are better then their stats show in some ways, but at the same time they have some problems that could create big play chances for Florida State. So the keys for the defense is to don't let FSU hit the big plays. Make them sustain a drive without the big plays. Control the line of scrimmage. As dangerous as FSU's passing game appears to be, their run game can be just as problematic for Auburn as well.
 
   Make Winston uncomfortable. Winston hasn't shown many signs of weaknesses. So what does Auburn need to do to fluster Winston? Blitz? No, I don't think that's the answer. That might play right into the hands of what FSU and Winston does so well. Winston is #1 in the country when going up against the blitz. So, my guess? Rush four and drop seven into coverage. Force Winston to be accurate. And in part, maybe the front four can outmatch FSU's O-Line. If they can pressure Winston with just their front four, and make him throw passes through tight windows, I think that will go a long way for Auburn. Of course this is just my opinion.... I don't think Auburn will sit back and not blitz.... It sounds crazy, but game film doesn't lie.... Winston has a little more trouble on plays when teams DON'T blitz.
 
   My Prediction
 
   This won't be like many of FSU's games this season. It won't be over by the end of the first half.... As much I as I would like it to be that way, I just don't see that happening. This will be an interesting game. Some think this game could turn into a high-scoring slugfest.... But we've seen this act too many times before. Two high power offenses come into this game and then it ends up being a tight low scoring game down to the wire. Will this game be the same? Or will one, or both, teams break through and make this a 42-35 type game?
 
   By now, you all know me. Those of you who have followed my blog know that I am a Florida State fan through and through. No question about it. And believe me I have heard all the trash talk in the world from those around me over the last month. All the SEC "Band-Wagon" fans.... Yeah I went there. All the Bama fans that turned into Oklahoma fans a few days ago.... Yeah, I went there too. I have been a Florida State fan through it all.... When they were dismantling teams in the 90's, I was a fan. When they fell into the hole of mediocre football, I was a fan. When Bobby Bowden was forced out, I was a fan. I don't jump from one team to another. I am a Nole. That all being understood....... I have never picked against my Noles this season. And I don't see anything in front of my Noles that tells me I should do otherwise in this game.
 
    Florida State will find a way to win. Their offense can run and pass. Their defense is as good as any, if not better. Fisher has built a juggernaut. FSU has depth. They have playmakers all over the field. And while I am talking up FSU because they are my team, I need to clear something up.... I greatly respect what Auburn has done. Auburn deserves to be where they are right now. And as bad as I want to see a blowout..... I would rather see both teams play their BEST game and see who is left standing at the end. Okay, enough talk here, I know you just want to see my score prediction. My Pick: Florida State 34 Auburn 21.
 
  That's it, fans..... Enjoy the big game tonight.... I am sure going to try, anyway..... It has been an exciting season.
 
   Check us out of Facebook at www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day.
 
  See all of you on the other side.... GO NOLES!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment