Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Reader Questions Segment Week 8

 
 
 

Reader Questions Week 8

       It is your segment. Your questions are on tap for today. I received a couple of questions that my answers are sure to stir up more debate. I want to encourage everyone; if you have a question or comment that you feel strongly about, send it in. I have never received a question that I wasn't willing to post on here. If you don't like my answer or comment, then let me know about it. Tell me I am wrong if you think I am wrong. Argue with me if you want. These are opinions for the most part, so nobody is wrong here.
 
     First question comes from David in Tennessee: Is it possible that the top 5 teams in the SEC (Alabama, florida, South Carolina, LSU and Georgia) are the best 5 teams in the Country? If each played in another conference would they all be undefeated and rated 1 to 5?
 
    It is a thought provoking question, that is for sure. First, let me make it clear that I am not an SEC hater. They deserve respect for wht they have done the last six years. However, I feel that this year, more than ever, they are being given respect for what they have done in th past, not what they are actually doing this year. Alabama is the only team in the SEC that could run the table in any other conference. The others you listed? Florida hasn't shown me enough to believe that yet. LSU? Yeah, they have shown me they can't. South Carolina? Here is a cool fact about South Carolina: No matter what their schedule looks like, they will lay an egg at least one game every season. I firmly believe you could stick them in the Big East and they would still find a way to lose a game in that conference. Georgia, to me, is the West Virginia of the SEC. They have a great offense, but no defense. Georgia could win a lot of games in another conference, but as soon as they run into a team with a defense........it stops right there. While the SEC claims to have the best teams because that is what the rankings say, that doesn't mean they are as good as their ranking. Mississippi State is unbeaten right now, but does that mean they are really the 12th best team in the country? I hardly think so. To answer your question directly, No. I don't think they would go undefeated in another conference and be ranked 1-5. Alabama maybe, but saying the other 4 teams could do it is doing exactly what I think is happening this season already...... and that is we are giving way too much credit for the past and not paying attention to what they are doing right now. Until the SEC schedules better non-conference games, this is where I will stand. 
  
     Now that I have mentioned SEC schedules, I will give you my thoughts on that. Why is the SEC scheduling games against these teams:
Tulsa
MTSU
Massachusetts
Wofford
Western Carolina (scheduled to play BAMA in November)
Troy
Akron
Sam Houston State
Jacksonville State
Samford (not to be confused with Stanford)
Louisiana-Lafayette
Georgia-Southern
UL-Monroe (and this team took TWO SEC teams to Overtime)
Western Kentucky
Georgia State
Buffalo
Bowling Green
Florida International University
Florida Atlantic
 
 I could list more, but I think you get my point. If the SEC is as good as all the SEC Fan Boys say it is......then why not play better non-conference games? Okay, so you want me to name the good non-conference teams that the SEC plays? Sure.
 
Alabama plays 0 (ZERO) quality teams out of conference this season. Michigan you say? Okay, If Michigan had turned out to be a one loss team, then yes I would make the exception there. Bama was at least willing to take a shot on opening weekend.
 
LSU plays who? Who on LSU's schedule is worth something? (non-conference) Towson? Washington? Oh, wait.....I got it. The Idaho Vandals. What about North Texas?
 
Georgia plays....Florida Atlantic, Buffalo Bulls (not to be confused with the NFL Team Buffalo Bills) Georgia Southern. At least they have Georgia Tech on their schedule. No sarcasm there.....Georgia Tech is at least respectable.
 
South Carolina. I have to give the Gamecocks some credit. They have to play Clemson every year. But who else? Wofford, East Carolina, and UAB.
 
Florida may have the toughest out of conference of them all. Bowling Green, Jacksonville State, Louisianna-Lafayette.....but they have to play Florida State.
 
See, my point is that, if Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina didn't HAVE to play the in state rivalry game.....they wouldn't. If they could get out of it, then they would. All that I ask of the SEC, is that I would like to see them schedule more than ONE some what quality team. Is it that difficult? If they are the best then play a schedule that says you aren't affraid of other conferences. "Oh, but we play such tough games IN-CONFERENCE, that we don't need to schedule tough out of conference games" WHY?  SEC, you are the best conference in the country, why don't you want to rub it in everyone's face by playing Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Oregon, Stanford, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc...... Sure, some of these teams were beaten in the National Title game, but I am talking about playing them in the regular season. Play a home and home series with a couple of them.
 
Moving on.....
 
     Tim (our big Michigan fan) writes: With the way the Michigan defense has improved significantly since the opener, and considering that their two losses are to BCS top-5 teams, do you see them as a clear cut favorite to win the Legends Division and make a trip to Indy the first weekend in December?
 
     Michigan......I said a while back that I didn't see them getting back into the mix. They do have a shot at it, but it won't be easy. Michigan State and Nebraska are pretty significant threats. You have to watch for Northwestern as well. Michigan still has to prove it to me. I know their only two losses are to BCS top-5 teams, but I feel like Notre Dame may still be a pretender.
    Their defense? I am not sure I am sold on their defense being that much better than it was. It's better, but look who they are playing. I tell you what, Michigan State will be tough, but I think the Nebraska game will be the better test for Michigan. Lets comeback to the Wolverines in a couple weeks. Boy that would be a blackeye for the Big Ten if Michigan won the conference and lost the way they did to Alabama.
 
 
      Thanks for the questions. Please keep them coming. Send to jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com or post to our Facebook page. www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day



      Check back later this week for my picks and key games to watch.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment