Thursday, August 30, 2012

2012 Season Kick-off

 

Opening Weekend Preview

FOOTBALL!!!!
 
 
 Vanderbilt kicks off tonight against South Carolina. And for Vandy, this could be the game of the century.  Friday night has N.C. State vs Tennessee, and Michigan State vs Boise State.

I have posted my picks for Vandy vs South Carolina and Tennessee vs N.C. State. Neither were bold picks but if there was one that I was least confident in, it would be the UT vs NCSU game. I have read that many people in the media are predicting a shoot-out and a high scoring contest. However, they haven't sold me on that yet.
 
 Let's take a look at the games going on the rest of this weekend.
 
The big games are Notre Dame vs Navy (an early game, 9am Eastern) , Clemson vs Auburn, and the biggest matchup on Saturday being Michigan vs Alabama.
 
 Notre Dame will beat Navy. It will be interesting to watch as Notre Dame starts a true freshman at QB. The Irish better get things going early and keep it going. This is one of very few games the Irish are the favorites. They have one of, if not the toughest, schedules in the 2012 season.
 
 

 Clemson vs Auburn. Always a good matchup. Clemson will be without one of its most dangerous weapons. Sammy Watkins will not play in the season opener. Auburn has plenty of questions all over its depth chart, and maybe the biggest question....the defense. Auburn knows they will have their hands full. But one good thing for Auburn....Clemson has just as many questions on the defensive side of the ball as well. If Sammy Watkins was in this game, I could easily see Clemson putting 35+ points on the board, and they might still do that. I like Clemson in this one any way you slice it. Clemson wins 34-21.



  Now for Michigan vs Alabama. What a great game (potentially). Alabama has a little bit of green on their defensive side of the ball. That could really open things up for Denard Robinson. He is fast and unpredictable. Nick Saban made a comment and said he reminds him of Cam Newton. I understand why he says that, but I want to make sure we all are on the same page here. Cam Newton had a great arm. Denard Robinson has an okay arm. Both are mobile and have great pocket awareness. The biggest difference though, I think, it's Robinson's speed. And is Alabama ready for that kind of speed at the QB position?
 
  If Alabama can force him to stay in the pocket and have to make throws instead of scrambling, then Michigan will be in trouble. It is a very interesting matchup to look at, but I question whether the game will be as interesting as it's being advertised. One side of me thinks BAMA will just muscle their way through this game and win 31-14. However, I haven't made any bold predictions yet and this is the game I think we could see the early season upset. That's right, the other side of me really thinks Michigan can catch Alabama and win this game. Michigan wins in a 28-24 game. If Michigan can hang around long enough in this one, I believe Robinson will make the plays in the 4th qtr to pull Michigan ahead of BAMA.
 
 I am still taking reader questions for some upcoming segments, send to jeremy.cf2d@yahoo.com or post to our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/collegefootball2day



 It's finally here. Enjoy the game tonight. Thanks for reading.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment